TREATMENT FOR KIDS
Dental treatment for kids is in principal very similar treatment of adults however when treating children we need to consider the emotional, behavioural and physical state of the child. As parents we know that by creating healthy habits at an early age will have a significant effect on the wellbeing and health of the adult. On the other hand: neglecting dental problems on deciduous (baby) teeth may cause damage to the developing adult teeth.
Unlike adults, children are still in the learning stage of their lives therefore at Balaclava Dental care we strive to make the visit to the dentist as a positive experience as possible. We have established the following guidelines to achieve this goal:
- 1. Children should be seen by the dentist from an early age: during the first few appointments we examine the child and build relationship.
- 2. We monitor the dental and facial development of the child.
- 3. On every appointment we work with the children on the importance of correct oral hygiene by explaining to them what we do when we clean and polish their teeth.
- 4. TELL, SHOW then DO: We create trust by following this formula; the children are told and shown in plain language what we plan to do therefore they understand the importance of the procedure.
- 5. PREVENTION, PREVENTION, PREVENTION: It is simpler to prevent a problem than fix a problem. We employ several preventive methods ( fissure sealants, fluoride polish etc.) which are proven to reduce the likelihood of tooth decay.
At Balaclava Dental Care we are trained and equipped to treat your Child’s dental needs nevertheless we consider it of a higher importance to educate children as to the importance of a healthy mouth.
Concern about basketball/footy/soccer facial injuries?
WEAR A MOUTHGUARD AT PLAY, TO KEEP THE INJURIES AWAY!
Balaclava Dental Care strongly endorses safe sport practices.
In the spirit of safe sport, we offer an amazing package which includes:
- – Impressions and provision of custom made mouthguard – in a colour of your choice!
- – Dental review
- – Mouth guard carry box
- – Sports drinking bottle
Unlike the generic over the counter mouth guards, a custom made mouthguards provides a snug fit and better protection as they are made to suit your individual mouth. Custom made mouthguards are not bound to the “one size need to fit all” formula therefore are made out of a vacuum formed material which is designed for protection and shock absorption.
ADA (Australian Dental Association) and “Standards Australia” organisation do not consider over the counter boil and bite mouthguards as an effective protection. They are poorly fitting and less comfortable to wear as a result greatly lessens their effectiveness and can increase the risk of damage to teeth.
When made by your dentist, a custom made mouthguard is:
- – Well-fitting
- – Comfortable
- – Allows you to speak clearly
- – Won’t shift or fall out
- – Won’t restrict your breathing
Don’t wait for injuries to happen; book your appointment now by calling our mouthguard coordinators Lucy or Coralie on 95277278